Menu Close

Error running Syncrosim with multiprocessing

Syncrosim Forums SyncroSim – General Questions and Answers Error running Syncrosim with multiprocessing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    maxwellcmaxwellc
    Participant

I’ve been unable to run multiprocessing within Syncrosim, whenever I try I get this error message: The input is not a valid Base-64 string as it contains a non-base 64 character, more than two padding characters, or an illegal character among the padding characters. It looks like it might be the Syncrosim application adding the non Base-64 characters, like the “-” in “Scenario-8848\Job-6.ssim”? There are no issues with running Syncrosim with multiprocessing turned off. I’m running everything on a Windows 11 machine, with Syncrosim program version 2.4.27.

katie-birchardkatie-birchard
    Keymaster

To help us solve the problem, could you provide the following information:

1. How did you obtain and install SyncroSim? Were there any email attachments involved (this uses Base64)?
    2. Have you tried anything to fix the issue (e.g. reinstalling SyncroSim)?
    3. What library are you using? Can you run multiprocessing with the most generic ST-Sim template library (Spatial Example)?

It would also be helpful to provide the run log that contains the error message. Thanks!

maxwellcmaxwellc
    Participant

1) The program was downloaded from the Syncrosim website and installed locally on a machine that I have admin rights to.
    2) I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Syncrosim without any luck.
    3) I am just using the stsim package. I receive the same error message while attempting to run the non-spatial and spatial examples.
    Run log pasted below:

STARTING SIMULATION: 2023-05-25 : 12:04:05

Parent Scenario is: [8828] Spatial model with transitions
    Result scenario is: [8850] Spatial model with transitions ([8828] @ 25-May-2023 12:04)

CONFIGURING: ST-Sim Runtime
    CONFIGURING: ST-Sim External

RUNNING: ST-Sim Runtime
    [Failure] A child process exited abnormally with code -1
    I:\INR\R2\BlackHillsSTSimmodels20230515\BlackHills20230517temp\Parallel\Scenario-8850\Job-2.ssim More information:

The input is not a valid Base-64 string as it contains a non-base 64 character, more than two padding characters, or an illegal character among the padding characters.

A child process exited abnormally with code -1
    I:\INR\R2\BlackHillsSTSimmodels20230515\BlackHills20230517temp\Parallel\Scenario-8850\Job-1.ssim More information:

The input is not a valid Base-64 string as it contains a non-base 64 character, more than two padding characters, or an illegal character among the padding characters.

SIMULATION COMPLETE: 2023-05-25 : 12:04:06
    Total simulation time: 00:00:01

Keymaster

Looking at your run log, the folder that stores the temporary data doesn’t seem quite right. The part of the path “BlackHills20230517temp” should look like “[library name].ssim.temp”, but it looks almost like a date has been inserted in the folder name. What is the name of your library (i.e. the “.ssim” file)? Have you specified a custom temp folder in the Library Properties > Folders datasheet?

Also, are you running the library from a network drive? Is it possible to put the library on your C:\ drive and try running from there?

maxwellcmaxwellc
    Participant

The .ssim file name that I’m using is: BlackHills20230119.ssim. I did specify custom folder names as part of an attempt to avoid the non-Base-64 error but the error was present before then, back when the folders were being auto-populated. When I do run the scenario using only one core, it does work, and outputs are being written into the custom specified modeloutputs20230517 folder. When I try to run things with multiple cores, a BlackHills20230119.ssim.temp folder is being created but is empty. Everything is being done on a local drive.

Keymaster

What ST-Sim version are you using?

Is SyncroSim installed in the I:\ drive as well?

This is a strange error that we have never encountered before and cannot recreate on our end. We will try to identify possible solutions and get back to you.

maxwellcmaxwellc
    Participant

I’m using Syncrosim program version 2.4.27 and is installed on my C: drive. I suppose then that this might be more of issue with my system environment?

Keymaster

Are you using the latest version of ST-Sim (v3.3.13)?

You could try moving the library to your C: drive and see if that fixes things.

Another thing you could try is reactivating your license file from Help > About SyncroSim.

maxwellcmaxwellc
    Participant

Well, reactivating the license file did the trick and I’m now able to run multiprocessing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.