Menu Close

Interaction of age shift and age reset

Syncrosim Forums ST-Sim & State-and-Transition Simulation Models Interaction of age shift and age reset

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kblankenshipkblankenship
    Participant

I’m wondering how the age shift and age reset functions interact on the probabilistic transitions tab in ST-Sim. Specifically, I have a 7 state model, with an initial state that has an age range of 0-20 years. A fire transition w/in the initial state has an age shift of -15 and age reset is set to “yes.” The age shift was inherited from an older version of the model when the initial class age range was 0-15 years. The desired effect is for a fire transition to change the age to 0. Is it safe to assume that the age would be change to 0 w/ the age reset set to “yes” and age shift to 0? What would happen if I left the settings as they are now – would age shift trump age reset?

colin-danielcolin-daniel
    Keymaster

The behaviour or these functions in VDDT was always confusing to users and so it was modified in ST-Sim to make it consistent and simpler to use. Best to forget about VDDT syntax and look at the online help at:
    http://wiki.syncrosim.com/index.php?title=Probabilistic_transitions

Neither feature ever “trumps” the other – they do slightly different things and so now work together. Age Reset if calculated first, followed by the Age Shift.

First thing is to determine the effect of the Age Reset – this says whether or not to reset the age of a cell after a transition. Default is yes (which is what happens when it is left blank). If yes then the new age of a cell is set to the start age of the post-transition state class; otherwise the cell maintains its pre-transition age after the transition.

The age shift is then applied to whatever age is first calculated using the Age Reset for a transition. Default is 0 (i.e. no shift if left blank). An age shift of +20 would add 20 to whatever age was first determined using the Age Reset.

Note that the age of a cell can never be beyond the bounds of its state class min and max ages.

So you are correct in that the -15 for Age Shift is redundant. In fact the Age Reset= Yes is also redundant. Leaving both fields blank invokes the default behaviours for both: resetting the age (in this case to 0) and having no shift.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.