Menu Close

problems with transition targets

Syncrosim Forums ST-Sim & State-and-Transition Simulation Models problems with transition targets

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    davidandersondavidanderson
    Participant

For a model I am running I set transition targets for the transition group with no specificity about any other item. The target was 4,000 acres. The results consistently did 20,000 acres/year. I then went and set transition targets by primary stratum. The 4,000 acres were allocated amongst the stratum. The result was about 8,000 acres per year. Next I tried setting a transition multiplier of 0.5. That brought the results up to 16,000 acres per year.

I am a bit perplexed by this behavior, particularly the last item, as those don’t seem to be behaviors that I am expecting from the model. Perhaps this relates to the primary transition group? Can there be more than one transition group with transition targets?

leonardo-fridleonardo-frid
    Keymaster

Hi David,
    First of all, it would be useful to know what version of the model you are running.
    If the most recent version ST-Sim 3.2.X this probably does relate to the “transition simulation group”. For earlier versions this would be the “primary transition group”. Targets should only be applied to either individual transition types or to “Transition Simulation Groups”. Individual transition types should only belong to at most one transition simulation group.

Did you get any warnings for your model run? You could see this by right clicking on the result scenario and selecting “Run Log”.

Regards,
    Leonardo

Participant

Leonardo,
    Here is the warning message:
    [Warning] ST-Sim: At least one Transition Target has been defined with a non-primary Transition Group.
    I am running version 2.0.44 of SyncroSim and version 3.1.44 of stsim.

I do have one transition simulation group defined but it is not one that I am using for transition targets.

I have been unable to find where one sets primary vs non primary groups. I found another thread where someone was asking the same question. It seems that the documentation link has been moved somewhere else. The answer is probably super obvious but I am just not seeing it.

leonardo-fridleonardo-frid
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Based on your version and this message it looks like you have either assigned a target to an individual transition type that already belongs to a transition simulation group or you have assigned the target to a transition group that is not defined as a transition simulation group.

If your target is assigned against a transition type, i.e, in the Transition Targets you have selected something like “Thinning [Type]” as the Transition Type/Group, then:
    1. Check what transition groups this type belongs to under Definitions | Transitions | Advanced | Transition Types by Group
    2. Next check if any of the groups this type is assigned to is a “Transition Simulation Group” under Definitions | Transitions | Advanced | Transition Simulation Groups If they are there then the target should either be assigned to this transition simulation group or the Transition type needs to be removed from this group, or the transition group needs to be removed from the transition simulation groups.

If your target is assigned against a Transition Group, i.e, something like “All Thinning Transitions” then be sure that the group contains all of the transition types that you want the target to apply to under Definitions | Transitions | Advanced | Transition Types by Group and be sure that the Transition Group is assigned as a Transition Simulation Group under Definitions | Transitions | Advanced | Transition Simulation Groups.

If you are still having challenges with your targets after this you could send me your library and I can take a look.

Thanks,
    Leonardo

Participant

Thanks for the detailed reply. I followed your instructions which fixed the problem. I am going to have to think a bit about the transitions – > transition group -> transition simulation group membership to get what I want.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.