Menu Close

Spatial control over lateral flows

Syncrosim Forums ST-Sim & State-and-Transition Simulation Models Spatial control over lateral flows

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    leonardo-fridleonardo-frid
    Keymaster

A SyncroSim ST-Sim user recently posed this question via e-mail:
    I have a question related to the “Flow Lateral Multipliers” in the SyncroSim Advanced/SF/Advanced section. I feel it is a non-spatial multiplier, correct?
    I want to move some carbon from one pixel to an adjacent pixel (spatially). So I’m not sure if that “Flow Lateral Multipliers” is the tool I can use. Anyone used it as a case study before? I think I can do the lateral flow in C. Is ST-SIM easy to link with a tiny C program?

Answer:
    1. Flow Lateral Multipliers are spatial. They allow you to weight the probability that lateral flows originating somewhere else will end up in a specified destination cell and are specified as a >0.0 GeoTIFF raster file.

2. These lateral flow multipliers apply only to the destination cell, not the source cell. Lateral flows are specified in the Flow Pathways datafeed by making us of the “Transfer to Stratum / State Class / Min Age” fields. This gives you general control over what strata, state classes and age categories are sources/destinations for lateral flows.

3. You could also use the Flow Spatial Multipliers to weight the probability that a specific cell will be a source for lateral flows.

4. Having more fine tune control over specific cell to cell flows would require an external program. This forum post is a good example of how to use external programs. In your case your external program would need to generate Flow Spatial Multipliers for outgoing flows and Flow Lateral Multipliers for incoming lateral flows. If you use a flow amount of 1 in the pathways, then your multipliers can be the actual flow amount (per unit area) values. Remember to specify values of zero in the corresponding layer for all cells with with no outgoing or incoming flows.

5. Lateral flows are a relatively new feature. I am not aware at this date of any published case studies making use of it.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.