Menu Close

Treatment Analyzer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    megancreutzburgmegancreutzburg
    Participant

I am interested in using the treatment analyzer to determine the most cost-effective combination of treatments to limit exotic grass and juniper states in a climate change mega-model. I thought I remembered in a very early version of Path that the treatment analyzer required the user to input the desired condition or HRV so the analyzer could assess which combination of treatments resulted in the closest landscape composition. But from looking at the inputs and the online documentation it sounds like the analyzer just runs lots of combinations of treatments that keep the budget constant, regardless of the resulting landscape composition. Is it then up to the user to look at each scenario and determine the “best” combination? Any thoughts on how to use the analyzer for this type of question or clarifications on how it works would be appreciated.

(I am still using Path 3.0.4 right now so it will be compatible with ILAP tools – I’m not sure if that makes a difference in the answer)

Thanks for the help

leonardo-fridleonardo-frid
    Keymaster

Your interpretation of how the Treatment Analyzer works is correct.  It heuristically explores different allocations of a fixed budget.  There is no optimization given a specific objective.  I would suggest using an iterative approach where you try the treatment analyzer a few times in a row until you hone in on a treatment combination that works best.  In the past I have found that even one iteration can be quite informative about the activities that have the highest return on investment.

Note that in the latest version of Path (4.2) this feature is called the Transition Target Analyzer.  Let us know how it works for you!

megancreutzburgmegancreutzburg
    Participant

We have two more questions about the treatment analyzer / target analyzer in Path 3.0.4:

When using the Path treatments tab or treatment analyzer, what effect do transition multipliers have? We thought that the transition multipliers would have no effect (i.e., would be overridden by the number of acres specified for the treatments) but when we ran a simple test model to try to treat the same amount of area with the multipliers for each treatment transition either set to 1 or removed from the multipliers list, the results were different.

Also, we are having trouble understanding the budget units. We were under the impression that you could specify a total annual budget, but it sounds like it really just controls the number of scenarios. If this is the case, how is the budget unit field different from the maximum number of scenarios field? How do you specify your overall budget?

Thanks for your help.

leonardo-fridleonardo-frid
    Keymaster
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.