Menu Close

Importing Transitions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ashliskyashlisky
    Participant

When importing a deterministic transition spreadsheet, I received the following error: “At least one of the values in the column ‘Location’ is not in the correct format”. I checked the format of the “Location” column, and I didn’t see anything awry. To double check, I tried importing the original transitions (luckily I had exported them before attempting to import new ones), and received the same error, even though I didn’t do anything to the original transitions spreadsheet after exporting it.

colin-danielcolin-daniel
    Keymaster

The Location column records the grid location of each box when displaying the S&T model diagram in Path. The format is similar to that used by Excel – so A1 represents the upperleft grid position of a diagram. Note that you can view the grid used by Path for displaying boxes on the screen by right-clicking on a diagram and selecting "Show Grid".

To ensure your location values are correct before you import from Excel:

1. All locations should use valid Excel-like notation for referring to grid cells (e.g. A1, A2, B1, etc..)
    2. The maximum number of columns for a diagram is currently 26 – so you can’t have a location with a column reference greater than Z
    3. You cannot have duplicate location values in your spreadsheet for a given stratum – in other words, only one state class can occupy each possible grid cell location for each stratum in your model.

From the error message it sounds like a problem with either 1 or 2 above. If it is #2 then we could look into expanding the number of columns in future releases of Path… however we didn’t ever anticipate anyone would use more than 26! Colin.

colin-danielcolin-daniel
    Keymaster

It turns out this is a bug (for Path version 3.1 and earlier) – it will be fixed in the next release.

The problem is that if the value for the Location field of the Deterministic Transitions ends with zero then the import from Excel fails.  As a workaround you can change the value for any Locations that end in zero to something else and the import will work. For example:
    1. Highlight the Location column in Excel
    2. Find and replace 10 with 25
    3. Find and replace 20 with 26
    Once the values are imported into Path you can change them back again if you like.

Alternatively you can choose to avoid placing any boxes in columns 10 and 20 before you export your Deterministic Transitions.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.