Menu Close

Variation in intial conditions

Syncrosim Forums ST-Sim & State-and-Transition Simulation Models Variation in intial conditions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mhemstrommhemstrom
    Participant

Has anyone noticed that there is variation in year 0 amounts in state classes areas within a stratum? I would expect variation in year 1 of course, but it seems like year 0 should only have the exact value coming in from an initial conditions spreadsheet. Help??

colin-danielcolin-daniel
    Keymaster

Original Question: Has anyone noticed that there is variation in year 0 amounts in state classes areas within a stratum? I would expect variation in year 1 of course, but it seems like year 0 should only have the exact value coming in from an initial conditions spreadsheet. Help??

Non-spatial initial conditions for each cell are sampled randomly from the initial distribution specified. So initial conditions will vary randomly for each Monte Carlo iteration. You can initialize precisely (i.e. without sampling) by specifying a value for each cell using the Spatial Initial Conditions.

leonardo-fridleonardo-frid
    Keymaster

One additional note is that under non-spatial initial conditions, if you select “[] Calculate from distribution” and specify the “Relative Amount” values in the Non Spatial Initial Condition “Distribution” datasheet as the number of cells to be used for each record, then the landscape is initialized identically for each Monte Carlo realization. See: https://docs.stsim.net/reference/prop_initial_conditions_non_spatial.html

mhemstrommhemstrom
    Participant

Thanks to both of you for quick responses. I’ll give your suggestion a try, Leonardo. Do you think it might be worthwhile to put a checkbox in the initial conditions tab or somewhere to allow the user to specify no variation at time 0? Of course, timestep 1 and on would have variation as specified elsewhere.

leonardo-fridleonardo-frid
    Keymaster

Thanks Miles, If you apply the checkbox to “[] Calculate from distribution” and specify an integer number of cells for each record, there will be no variation at time 0.

mhemstrommhemstrom
    Participant

Excellent. Thanks, Leonardo. It would help if I RTFM.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.